#311 | Molly (Maureeen) Plunkett | Remove Anti Racism as Primary Focus

Submission 311
Molly (Maureeen) Plunkett
Prairie UU Society (Madison, WI) 8412

What is your suggestion or idea?

Remove anti racism as the primary focus of values. Half or 3/6 proposed values promote anti racism or closely related concepts as the focus and driving force of UU beliefs. There are many serious problems that persist in our society and need action as well as racism: poverty, homelessness, climate change, gun violence, immigration. In my lifetime I have seen many continuing systemic efforts to address racism - affirmative action in hiring and education, diversity training in the workforce and positions created, and programs in schools to reduce achievement gaps. Racism has not been eliminated but neither has it been IGNORED until now.

I find the consistent attachments of covenant language to every belief or value statement as disturbing and coercive.

What is the reason for your amendment idea?

A narrowed focus of values is not my vision of Unitarian Universalism - what drew me to this liberal faith community.

Have you discussed this idea with your congregation or other UUs?

I have been part of a discussion/study group on Article II and panel presentation at our congregation. There are many views about the proposed changes - some in support and some opposed.

4 Likes

This was my first thought when I read the draft. Racism is an important target, but there are others equally important. Naming of individual targets of our actions should not be in article 2.

1 Like

Support amendment #16 Proposed Amendment by responding to it if you agree –
32 We covenant to dismantle [.] l**l---- all forms of cultural and systemic oppression, including but not limited to racial, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation, gender, etc. We support the use of33 inclusive democratic processes to make decisions. If the amendment receives support from 50% of the delegates in the mini-assemblies then it will move on through the process at General Assembly.