#29 | Eric Burch | Add the Seven Principles

I will also say that when I first became a UU, I found the Seven Principles to be so vague as to be indistinguishable from the principles of any other religious tradition. For example, most summaries of Roman Catholic Social teaching (e.g. Seven Themes of Catholic Social Teaching | USCCB ) are eerily similar to the UU Seven Principles, though Catholics draw corollaries from the first principle that are rather opposite to the corollaries drawn by UUs. Maybe that is a good thing–we DO have a lot in common with other faiths! But I found the Six Sources to be much more illuminating about what is distinctive about Unitarian Universalism. So I am actually much more drawn to amendments that seek to preserve the sources than amendments that seek to preserve the principles. At the same time, I am acutely conscious that I am just one person, and I know there are lots of others who cherish the Principles and chafe at the sources.

If you are a delegate and wish to support my amendment to add the existing 7 Principles to the proposed Article II, please add your support to Delegate support for Article II Amendment (#29) - Google Docs . Thank you.

1 Like

I don’t stand on my “Values” - I stand on my “Principles”.

I support your amendment and have added my name to your delegate list.

1 Like

On several instances CO-moderator Charles du Mond notes that a range of people all were focusing on retaining or adding the 7 P. And he gave names and numbers. I wonder if those people might welcoming signing on to your support list for your amendment??

Note to authors and proponents of amendments that weren’t prioritized or presented. This forum is closing for comment tomorrow, but our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for another couple weeks for commenting (and still be viewable after that).

Those who want to find others to coordinate about the 15-congregation amendment process may use the group to do so while it is open, but please read both the rules and the pinned post before posting or commenting there. Thank you.
Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook