#27 | Steve Myles | Congregations Did Not Participate

If any amendments to the Rules of Procedure are presented at the mini-assembly (such as the one that has been suggested for Rule 13, Close of Business, see below), delegates may vote on them.

Since the Bylaws are already under revision (presumably by a similar process as Article II), slowing down the final phase of Article II might align it with Bylaws being worked on simultaneously. Apparently some obstacles to this process are embedded in the Bylaws (which could not have foreseen a pandemic lasting years).

I am not a delegate and not aware of what proposed amendments people may have submitted (I think the deadline was yesterday? Or today?). The time to consider amendments in my view seems too short for this final phase to have the truly synthesizing, unifiying, reconciling potential I hoped for or to really constitute a democratic vote. To me, consent is paramount in UUism.

This is why I hope delegates find a way to either eliminate some less crucial activities planned for GA and create more room for amendments proposal or perhaps, as has been suggested, to replace “close of business” in Rule 13 with something like this: "“GA2023 will recess at 4:30pm ET on Sunday June 25, 2023 until next called to convene by the Moderator.”

1 Like

I would not know if the official lay leaders at my society were contacted, as they rarely if ever relay denominational information; I have to find it all myself (and often bring things to the board, or some members thereof, after which I rarely hear anything).

Note to authors and proponents of amendments that weren’t prioritized or presented:

This forum is closing for comment tomorrow, but our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for another couple weeks for commenting (and still be viewable after that).Those who want to find others to coordinate about the 15-congregation amendment process may use the group to do so while it is open, but please read both the rules and the pinned post before posting or commenting there. Thank you.

Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook