#21 | Leslie Peet | Don't single out Racism

Thanks, I am not happy about that, but it is what it is. The quick reply is much appreciated!

@amariescully thanks for a thoughtful reflection. I believe that some kind of attempted listing/grouping that lists racism first and other oppressions following could do this, but it probably takes a lot of reflection (maybe a basis for adding another amendment down the line?)? As we can see the one above left off disability (or included it in “etc.”). I know people who have had disability issues from birth (not my case) who have encountered pretty severe and constant othering. (And in some cultures, disabled babies were left to die, while disabled people have also been targeted by Nazis, eugenicists, etc.)

I agree that I believe most UUs are behind the need to explicitly call out racism given its huge context in United States history. Probably no amendment created yet has hit on the perfect phrasing (much like the puzzle of how to address religious sources both past and present), so again, maybe this could be part of the continuing conversation for possible future added amendments before 2024?

Although there are UUs everywhere, I do believe that the UUA, headquartered in Boston, is a very-large-majority United States entity, and operates under the laws of the U.S.A. Hence, I think that the USAmerican focus is appropriate, and acknowledging the history and the ongoing race-based oppression is appropriate. I have gone back and forth on this, but am coming down on the side of naming racism as a clear example of too many oppressions.

Read this GA final agenda 2023 pdf - Google Drive

Note to authors and proponents of amendments that weren’t prioritized or presented:

This forum is closing for comment tomorrow, but our lay-led public Facebook group, Blue Boat Passengers, will remain open for another couple weeks for commenting (and still be viewable after that).

People who want to find others to coordinate about the 15-congregation amendment process may use the group to do so while it is open, but please read both the rules and the pinned post before posting or commenting there. Thank you.

Blue Boat Passengers: Info & Constructive Discussion re Article II, etc. | Announcement: This group will soon be suspended | Facebook