#147 | Janet Leavens | Add Depth, Breadth, and Specificity

I have worked up an amendment that combines Kerry’s reworked Inspirations amendment (#460) and mine.

New Combined Amendment:

We are inspired by the full depth and breadth of sacred and secular human knowledge. We honor the pluralism of our lineage, and we discern and build upon the sources of Unitarian Universalism as we move forward, mindful of the cultures in which they evolved.

These sources include:

Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which renews our spirit;

Religions and wisdom traditions which inspire us in our ethical and spiritual life and which center love, justice, and harmony with one another and with nature;

Humanist teachings, which counsel us to honor the verifiable knowledge produced by communities of scientific and rational inquiry;

The creative arts, which reveal to us the face of life’s beauty and joy, its struggles and sorrows, and its enduring truth and meaning, and which open our hearts to emotions of joy, solace, and gratitude.

These sources ground us and sustain us in ordinary, difficult, and joyous times. Grateful for the religious and cultural ancestries we inherit and the diversity that enriches our community, we are called to ever deepen and expand our wisdom.

I may have time later to add editing marks to show how I combined the two amendments, but for now, I can say that I just took Kerry’s reworked amendment and: 1. Changed the first sentence; 2. Changed the second source so that it does not list specific religions and 3. Changed the third source to make it less wordy and to refer to “communities of scientific and rational inquiry.” instead of “the sciences and mathematics.”

5 Likes